Sunday, September 10, 2006

Initial Topic & Subject

Finally I have some idea about the topic & subject for my graduate thesis.I decide to choose The Relationship of Positive and Negative of graphic design as my thesis topic. As I was taught and as I have learned, positive shapes are always the objects in a design.

The size and placement of positive shapes balance the negative shapes, which are the objects form the spaces around the positive shapes. By paying attention to the balance of positive and negative shapes, the visual information which is refereed by positive shapes could obtain the great attention as primary focal point, sub focal point and so on. This will achieve great design flow.

To delivery this design principal, I want to use a fundamental philosophical concept in ancient China, which is The Eight Diagrams (Bagua). It is an octagonal diagram with one trigram on each side. The concept of bagua is applied not only to Chinese Taoist thought and the I Ching, but is also used in other domains of Chinese culture, such as fengshui, martial arts, navigation, and so on.

In this concept, the universal is constructed with Yin-Yang, which refer to positive and negative, or male and female, or one and zero. And these two primary elements divided into 8 diagrams, which refer to different family members with different nature, personalities, and different location.



Tomorrow I will see Richard to see if this is the right direction I should go...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home